Saturday, July 21, 2012

GRIMDARK TEENAGER POST

I know it's a cliche, but sometimes I feel like I'm barely starting to notice that the world really IS becoming crazier than I remember. Just yesterday, the worst civilian spree murder occurred during a screening for The Dark Knight Rises. What is the world coming to?

I'm not quite this crazy just yet.

In times like this, I can't help but think about the other crazy shit that happened when I was younger. Regardless of how bad things may seem now, there was always something terrible going on in the past. I was probably way too young to really understand what happened when the 9/11 terrorist attack occurred. Even now, I can't grasp the impact it had on the world, nor can I fathom the feelings of those who were affected by the Colorado shooting. I can't help but wonder if I'll ever start to comprehend the tragedies we face. 

The only source of agony my generation seems to understand.

Whether my undermining of these events stems from a subconscious teenage rebellion ideology or a lack of a concrete idea about the true value of human life, I can't help but feel that others feel just like me and don't voice this concern. Will it come with age, through wisdom? Will it come from first hand experience? 
In the end, I know these events are tragic and traumatic for those around, but I don't know why they are in general. Obviously, death is not easily dealt with in society, but should all humans feel a strong sense of compassion when they read something like this? At the moment, I just don't get it and I can't help but feel guilty because I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment