Thursday, July 12, 2012

Acceptances: The After Shock

It's been about four months since college acceptances/rejections/purgatory-sentences have come up. By now, everyone should start to be settled in their choices. For someone as indecisive as myself, I still wonder how things would have been if I had chosen Stanford over MIT or if I had been the valedictorian. I used to love Yale after I visited, but after my deferral, I started to fall out of love with it. While I would prefer MIT over every school at the moment, I still can't help but wonder what I would have done if I had been admitted to the uglier, douchier school on the other side of Cambridge.

Not to mention poopier.

 I, like many teenagers, can't help but feel as if I was at fault for my rejections. I had an awesome 'career,' littered with MIT, Stanford, and seven likely letters, but why wasn't I good enough for Harvard? To this day, a few of my friends still feel the same way and, well, I do too. It seems like you had to be a superstar to just be considered at these schools.

 Pictured: a horribad interpretation of the perfect applicant.

While no one really reads this blog, I'd still love to give some advice to my 2017's and everyone else who will be in the inevitable position. Instead of feeling down and inadequate, I think it's necessary for all applicants to realize the truth about college admissions. I heard this awesome metaphor for college admissions the other day and, well, it really does hold true.

"College admissions are like shopping for fruit. They try to pick out the sweetest, juiciest ones, but it often comes down to which one they randomly grab. Sometimes they miss the big, delicious one at the bottom of the pile. Occasionally, they take home a dud. Sometimes they need extra apples to make pie. Anyways, with so many at the store, it's the luck of the draw." (from Willa.me)

No one ever wants the rambutan :(

Really, it's hard to believe and say that maybe you just weren't sought after your year because of some influx of drummers or football playing kings in space, but it might be true. Don't beat yourself up because of the things you can't control. At the end of the day, you're awesome and smart and the bee's knees. If a college couldn't see that and had to choose someone else because of some weird reason (baking a pear pie), it's their loss. At the end of the day, you were picked by some school that is super dope in it's own way. Hopefully, you'll fall in love with it as it seems they have with you. If not, you can always change your situation if you try hard enough.

 Unless you're a carrot.

In the end, I still feel a bit weird that I didn't have full control of where I wanted to go, but that's just me being an egotistical control freak. I'm pretty sure if I had gotten into Harvard and Yale I still wouldn't have gone. Why? Well, my friend, because I fell in love with MIT and didn't really see it after MITES. It wasn't until CPW that I really started to love MIT. While I will always be a bit indecisive, I'm glad I chose MIT. In the same way, I'm sure you'll be glad wherever you end up going. Just remember that, if anything, you were just the juicy fruit they couldn't take because they ran out of money.

I was probably a dark, hairy coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment